In this article, we will compile a list of the most expensive Fifa world cup ever held. Football is the most popular sport in the world. It has an estimated 3.5 billion fans worldwide, and approximately 265 million people (both men and women) play football. Brazil is the only team to have won five World Cups and has the most fervent and demanding football fans.
As a result, to maintain the fans’ excitement, the Fédération Internationale de Football Association provides the best experience possible for its fans and strives to improve each time. Finally, the overall cost of hosting the FIFA World Cup would be in billions of dollars. In addition, we have included some interesting facts about these world cups. In addition, there are updates and expectations for the FIFA World Cup in 2023.
5 most expensive football world cups in history
|2002||Japan, South Korea||$7B|
1. 2018 football world cup
The overall cost of the 2018 football world cup is $14.2 billion. When it comes to the expensive football World Cup this World Cup is the most expensive football world cup to date. It was the 21st FIFA World Cup, which took place from June 14 to July 15, 2018, and it was the first to be held in Eastern Europe. France won the championship, with Croatia coming in second. One of the most fascinating facts about the 2018 football world cup is that 3.5 billion people (i.e. half of the world’s population) watched it.
- Luka Modric was the best player and received the golden ball.
- Harry Kane scored six goals and received the golden boot.
- It was the first time Russia hosted the football world cup.
- $400M was the prize money in the 2018 football world cup.
- Panama and Iceland made their debut in the football world cup.
- The mascot was Zabivaka and was chosen through online voting.
2. 2014 football world cup
The 2014 FIFA World Cup was held in Brazil, and it was the 20th FIFA World Cup. Brazil was awarded the hosting rights in 2007, and the tournament budget is estimated to be $11.6 billion. It is the world’s second most expensive football tournament. Furthermore, 3.4 million people attended the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Germany won the tournament, claiming its fourth FIFA World Cup title.
- Lionel Messi received the golden ball.
- James Rodriguez received the golden boot because he was the highest scorer.
- For the first time, goal-line technology was used in the 2014 football world cup.
- Brazil became the only team to win 5 FIFA world cup titles.
- The crowd attendance was 3.4M(second highest so far)
3. 2002 football world cup
The 2002 FIFA World Cup was the 17th FIFA World Cup, with a total cost of $7 billion. It was held in both South Korea and Japan, with the final taking place in Japan (International stadium in Yokohoma). As a result of the time zone difference, it was difficult for European fans to watch the games. Furthermore, Brazil won their fifth world cup title, making them the only team to do so. However, 2.7 million people attended the 2002 FIFA World Cup. Cristiano Ronaldo scored 8 goals and was awarded the golden ball.
- In this tournament, the Golden Goal rule (the first team to score a goal in the extra time to win the game) was used for the last time.
- Ronaldo was the top scorer in the tournament.
- Oliver Kahn was named the best player.
- This was the first FIFA world cup held in Asia.
4. 2006 football world cup
Germany hosted the 2006 FIFA World Cup and spent more than $4.6 billion on the event. It took place from June 9th to July 9th, 2006. Italy won the tournament against France, claiming its fourth FIFA World Cup title. The 2006 football world cup was the most-watched event in television history, and it also had the third-highest crowd attendance in football world cup history.
- Meroslav Klose won the golden boot.
- Zinedine Zidane won the golden ball.
- The 2006 football world cup has 26.29 billion views.
- 715 million people watched the 2006 football world cup on television.
5. 1990 football world cup
In the 1990’s FIFA World Cup, the cost was $4 billion in total. West Germany won the 1990’s FIFA World Cup. The 1990 World Cup set some of the worst records in football history. For starters, the 1990 FIFA World Cup had the lowest goal-per-game average (2.2 goals per game).
- Salvatore Schillaci received the golden boot and also the golden ball.
- 16 players got Red Cards in the tournament
- it consisted of the first-ever finals dismissal.
- The crowd attendance was 2.5 million.
Frequently asked questions about FIFA world cup:
Q. What city will host the FIFA World Cup in 2022?
Qatar will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup, which will take place from November 21 to December 18, 2022, with a total budget of $300 billion.
Learn more about: The 10 highest crowd attendance in the FIFA world cup history
We hope you enjoyed our article on the most expensive football world cup and please share your thoughts in the comments section below. The source for the data of this article is the official Wikipedia search. This page’s content is subject to change at any time. Our website (www.footballtipmaster.com) makes no guarantees about the information’s accuracy.